How to type to Siri instead of speaking To It
Siri Apple Voice assistant is one of the unique features of the iOS, this Apple’s Voice assistant listens to your questions and speaks the answer. But starting with the iPhone 11 series and above you can type to Siri instead of speaking to it. In this article, I will be showing you how to enable type to Siri on your Apple device.
Situations When Typing To Siri Is Very Useful
Typing your question or command to Siri instead of speaking to it can be useful in the following Scenarios.
- When you cant talk dues to speaking disabilities like stammering etc.
- When you’re in a place where speaking is prohibited or socially acceptable. like a library, church, movie hall, etc.
- When you’re a non-native speaker, you might not be able to pronounce certain words when you travel or when you’re on vacation, typing on Siri can help you get an accurate location like names of places, restaurants, hospitals, etc.
Now that you have an insight, here’s how to type to Siri on your iPhone instead of speaking to it.
How To Use Type To Siri On iPhone
Here are the steps to enable and use Siri without speaking:
- Go to your phone Settings app and tap Accessibility.
- Scroll down and click on Siri.
- Then Turn on Type to Siri.
4. Command Siri by pressing the side, Home, or top button. Now type your request/Question, and tap the enter key.
5. If you want to make another request, click Type to Siri and enter a new command.
Tip: If you want to have a better view, you may turn off Show Apps Behind Siri. This will open and display Siri on full screen on a solid background.
How to use Type to Siri on Mac
if you’re using the mac device Here are the procedures to enter your Siri request using the keyboard instead of speaking it:
- Click the Apple icon and select System Preferences.
- Click Accessibility.
- At the bottom left of the sidebar, click Siri.
- Tick the box to Enable Type to Siri.
- Command Siri by pressing and holding Command + Space Bar or by clicking the Siri icon from the top menu bar, or Launchpad. You can also do this by tapping the Siri button on MacBook with Touch Bar. Now, type the request/question, press the enter key, and Siri will work on the answer or solution to your command.
Important points related to Type to Siri on iPhone and Mac
Below are some frequently asked questions and answers that are of immense help.
How to type to Siri and speak to Siri at the same time?
After you have enabled Type to Siri, pressing the button/keys will only display the keyboard. You cannot speak your request. But even with Type to Siri enabled, if you say “Hey Siri” to call Siri, you can speak your request without needing to type it. As a result, you get the best of both typing mode and speaking mode – type or speak – as it pleases you.
Can I type to Siri without enabling this option?
Yea you can type to Siri without enabling this option, but it’s a little bit tricky is not just easy and straightforward compared to when you’ve enabled it. here’s the trick you can use to do that
1)Navigate to iPhone Settings and click Siri & Search.
2) click on Siri Responses.
3) Then you Enable Always Show Speech. This will type and show what you speak to Siri. Always Show Speech Siri on iPhone
4) Now, press the button to call or command Siri and say any word. Siri will type what it hears. Click it, and now you can edit it to any actual long command you wish. Once you finish writing, hit the enter key, and Siri will follow what you typed.
How to switch off voice feedback during Type to Siri?
If you use Type to Siri, it won’t be really necessary to hear Siri talk back the answer. To do this, choose Only with “Hey Siri” to get the response only if you call Siri by saying “Hey Siri” or on occasion, your iPhone is connected to a CarPlay or Bluetooth device. If you select When Silent Mode is Off, Siri will only speak when your iPhone isn’t in silent mode, or you used “Hey Siri” to command or call it, or you’re connected to a CarPlay or Bluetooth device.
Turn off Siri Voice Response on iPhone
To turn off Siri voice responses on Mac laptops, navigate to System Preferences > Siri and click Off next to Voice Feedback.
How to disable Type to Siri and go back to normal?
On iPhone or iPad navigate to Settings > Accessibility > Siri and Turn off type to Siri
On Mac Laptop, Navigate to System Preferences > Accessibility > Siri and untick Enable Type to Siri.